Visa and Immigration to Canada

More than 130,000 students go to study in Canada on a yearly basis. In addition to this particular number are much more that go to Canada to know English or maybe French. Students bring a diversified and rich culture to help develop the classrooms as multicultural and multidimensional array of study. Your expertise and ability are welcome in this educationally developed region.

For more detailed information with living in addition to studying within a specific province or terrain, contact the varsity where you like to study.

Video - Study Visa to Canada

Who Needs a Study Permit?

More often foreign students need a Study Permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions:

  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program: You don't need a study Permit if you're planning to consider a program or plan in Canada having a duration of 6 months or much less. You should complete the course or even program in the period authorized for the stay within Canada.
  • If you are a minor child already in Canada: A minor child already in Canada, whose parents are not “visitors” in Canada do not need a study permit.
  • Foreign representatives to Canada: Family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada approved by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade do not need a Study Permit to study.

Benefits of Having a Study Permit

You should obtain a Study Permit before you decide to come in to Canada if you feel you may decide to continue your own studies within another program once you complete the actual short-term program or plan.

If you don't have a legitimate Study Enable and desire to continue your own studies, you'll have to leave Canada to be able to apply once again


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why should I get a Study Permit?

There tend to be benefits to have a study Permit, even if you don't require it. If you've got a valid Research Permit, you are able to:

  • work part-time on campus in the university or college for you are registered as a full-time college student; and
  • apply in order to renew your own Study Enable from in Canada, if you choose to continue learning in North america.

Choosing a School, College, or University in Canada: There are many different types of schools and institutions in Canada. For more information and listings of schools, contact the organizations listed below for each institution type, or consult:

Q. When should I apply for my Study Permit?

You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the university or college. You must plan to apply as early so that you have to before the commencement of the course.

Q. What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Q. How do I Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa?

You'll need a Temporary Resident Visa along with your study Permit, you don't have to create a separate program or pay another fee. An official will concern it simultaneously as the actual documentation that you will have to enter Canada like a student.


Studying internationally is a good adventure along with a challenge. Canadian academic institutions offer an array of opportunities with regard to foreign college students. Please make reference to the subsequent information to help you through the applying process:


Selecting University or Community College

Information for Foreign Students

Studying in another country is an adventure and a challenge. Canadian educational institutions offer a wide range of opportunities for foreign students. Please refer to the following information to guide you through the application process

Choosing a School, College, or University in Canada: There are many different types of schools and institutions in Canada. For more information and listings of schools, contact the organizations listed below for each institution type.

Primary and Secondary Schools

These are schools that teach students up to the grade 12 level. Provincial governments in Canada regulate all primary and secondary schools.

Post-Secondary Institutions (Universities and Colleges)

Post-secondary schools include colleges, universities and technical schools. Each post-secondary school has its own set of rules on how to apply, and decides what level of English or French you will need to be accepted. For more information on post-secondary schools.

Who gets rejection of Entry to Canada

Private Career and Vocational Schools

Provincial governments do not necessarily regulate private schools. Make sure that the private school you apply to meets provincial education requirements.

Language Schools

There are many schools in Canada that teach English or French as a second language. Provincial governments regulate language programs at public institutions.

Provincial governments do not necessarily regulate language programs at private schools. Make sure that the private school you apply to meets provincial education requirements.

How to Apply to a School, College or University

Once you have chosen a place to study you will need to apply to that school, college or university. Every school has different rules on how to apply.

Make sure you apply early for your course of study. Apply at least six months in advance to primary and secondary schools. University and college students should apply a year before they want to start their studies.

Contact the school where you want to study to learn how to apply. They will give you the right application forms and be able to tell you about:

  • the cost of applying;
  • tuition fees;
  • health insurance;
  • rent and how much it will cost to live in Canada;
  • language tests.

Fill out the application form for the school or schools of your choice, and submit it according to the instructions provided. If the school admits you as a student, they will send you a letter of acceptance. You need a letter of acceptance in order to apply for a Study Permit.

Health Insurance

The government of Canada does not pay for the medical costs of foreign students. Health coverage for foreign students varies between provinces. Contact the school at which you are applying to receive more information about medical coverage and health insurance.

How to apply for a Study Permit:

Find all the forms you need to apply for a Study Permit, along with step-by-step instructions. This includes information about:

  • medical examinations;
  • police checks;
  • application fees; and
  • financial requirements.

How to Apply for a Study Permit

Step 1: 

Print the Application for a Study Permit.

Step 2:

Collect the documents you need to apply.

Step 3:

(For those who are applying to study in the province of Quebeconly.)

If you are applying to study in Quebec, you will also need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Quebec Certificate of Acceptance, or CAQ) issued by the Ministère des Relations avec les citoyens et de l’Immigration (MRCI). Please see Quebec’s immigration Website for more information. Your school will also have information about applying to study in Quebec.

Step 4: Complete the application for a Study Permit. Fill in the forms carefully and completely.

  • Follow the instructions
  • Use a typewriter or print clearly, using black ink.
  • Add appropriate characters for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Chinese, Arabic, Cyrillic, Japanese, Hebrew, etc.
  • Sign and date your application forms.

Step 5: Include the correct Application Fee. There is a processing fee to apply for a Study Permit. For current rates, see the Fee Schedule for CIC Services. Verify acceptable methods of payment with the office where you submit your application.

Step 6: Make sure that your application is complete. Consult the Visa Office to see if you need to fill out any additional forms or provide any additional documents.

Step 7:

Submit your application, fees, and required documents to a Visa Office at the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for the country in which you are living.

  • If you are from the U.S.A., Greenland, or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you can apply at a Canadian Port of Entry.

Step 8:

Supply additional information or documents when the Visa Office requests it. This may include:

Medical Examination Results:

You must pass a medical exam, if you:

  • come from a country with high health risks; or
  • if you will be studying or working in a place where protection of public health is essential

A Visa Officer will advise you if you need to take a medical examination, and will provide you with instructions on how to proceed. If you need a medical examination, processing your application could take at least three extra months.

Police Certificates/Certificate of Good Conduct:

A Visa Officer may request a police certificate to prove to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Officers that you are a responsible person and that you do not have a criminal record.

Police agencies may do a criminal or security background check. These checks may be done on anyone 18 years of age and over applying for a Study Permit.

If you move or change your address, your telephone or FAX number before your application has been processed, you must advise CIC of this new information. Contact the Visa Office where you submitted your application.

When you apply for your Study Permit, there is no guarantee of acceptance. You should not take any final steps, such as purchasing plane tickets or quitting your job, until your Study Permit is approved.

If you have any questions about your application, please contact the Visa Office where you submit your application.

Application to Study in Canada: Study Permits

This application is for persons who are outside Canada who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who wish to study temporarily in Canada. A study permit is issued if the application is accepted.

A temporary resident visa to visit Canada may also be required.

Many visa offices have specific local instructions concerning the documentation to be submitted with applications. Consult the of Canadian embassies, high commissions or consulates abroad to find the visa office responsible for the country from which you are applying. Links to mission Web sites with information on local application requirements and procedures, and information on how to contact visa offices are available from this list.